Being on a low carb eating lifestyle now, I’m always looking for new ways to cook vegetables. I had got so used to heating up canned veggies that when it came to cooking up some leafy greens, etc….. I gotta admit, I was a little lost. I found this recipe for cabbage and tweaked it a little by adding some extra spices. It was soooo tasty! It reminded me of the stuffing in egg rolls!
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Cook bacon in a deep skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- Add onion & garlic powder. Cook and stir cabbage in hot bacon drippings over medium heat until cabbage wilts, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Crumble bacon over cabbage. Stir and simmer until bacon is warmed, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with black pepper.
I added some asparagus and carrots for sides. The nutrition facts for the cabbage is as follows:
- Calories 220 cal
- Fat 17.8 g
- Carbs 7.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 30 mg
- Sodium 468 mg